Thursday 29 July 2010

when did you notice your love for music I recognized my love for music around age 13. It wasn't uncommon to get together with a couple of my friends after school to jam on the piano and drums and such. how did you come up with the name of your band I brainstormed for quite a while actually. As the sound evolved and became more of what I envisioned, I also took a look around to see who was involved. We had an assembly of amazing people. All individually profound. Hence the name "the congress." I wanted something sophisticated, sexy, and "fresh" (in the east coast meaning aka hip) how do you describe your style I guess I can describe my style as an intermix of all my influences. I love jazz from the late 50's and 60's. Rare groove of the 70's, hip hop from the early 90's , gospel music as well. A lot of my sense of harmony comes from gospel and jazz traditions. If I had to describe it in a few words... a trench of organic fresh new sound waves. what made you start your own band I was hesitant and discouraged at 1st . I heard so many horror stories of what it takes to keep a band functional and flourishing. I guess being in a successful band helped bring the idea to reality. I wanted to create a new sound at 1st. There's also such satisfaction in hearing your compositions being played and reinterpreted by amazing musicians who you consider family.
what do you think you bring to the music world truth, hope, and beauty.. There's something so real and reminiscent of the truth in the music that I'm writing. It's coming from an authentic place. There's hope that you can be different but still familiar and be successful or recognized. And there's such beauty in the raw sound of the music. how is your style different than everyone else : I'm not trying to follow the over produced pop format. I'm taking the old school route with real musicians and a full band sound. However, the music is still extremely digestible and catchy with memorable melodies and hooks. who is your inspiration life, relationships, my family, Miles Davis, D'angelo, Prince, Roy Hargrove, Me'Shell Ndegeocello, Marvin Gaye, Billie Holliday
what impression do you want to leave on the people that listen to your music I want people to feel like they're receiving whatever they need at the time as they are listening; whether it be inspiration, nostalgia, reassurance, clarity etc who is your favorite musician: hmmm that's tough I love so many of them. would be easier if you were to ask trumpet player maybe. I'd probably say Miles Davis. He's influenced my playing and use of space tremendously. what record is a must have in ones collection D'angelo's Voodoo timeless and a perfect blend of old school with a modern approach. True to the idea of real music
Make sure to check out the facebook pages of the The Congress & Marcus Cohen ... family make sure to show him extra love, because he is my little brother... and I'm so proud of him

No comments:

Post a Comment