Monday 5 July 2010

What's in my kit? - Part 1 : Equipment



The question I get asked most, particularly from aspiring makeup artists, is "What products do you use?", so I thought I would give a little insight each week posting a short entry on my kit.
I would like to say my kit is light and travel friendly ... but really it is not.
After a few years at this, I have found out what works for me and weeded out a whole lot of extras, nevertheless I am still hauling around 2 large makeup trolleys, a large set bag, a high chair and sometimes a makeup station (if the working conditions on location are really disadvantageous).


PART 1 - EQUIPMENT

Because I work as a Hair & Makeup Artist I have a lot of equipment to carry with me to each shoot. So I have 1 bag dedicated solely to Makeup products and 1 bag as my main Hair Kit together with some overspill from the Makeup Kit.

Large Monda Multifunctional Case (trolley)
I really love this case! I use it exclusively for my makeup products. It fits all my products & palettes perfectly. You can choose to store everything in the shelves or take the shelves out and work it from there. I have removed one shelf cabinet and use that newly created space to store my products which I prefer to keep in see through zipper bags.
The case has 4 wheels spread across the back and thus pulls easily without tipping over. It is also extremely sturdy made of thick material with high quality clips.


This is the case in its original set up, so you see how you have two removable shelving units, you will also notice a tissue holder on the left side which I find ever so practical.





Stackable Case (trolley)
Since my hair styling products require a lot more space due to the various electrical styling tools and large array of hair extensions, I chose to use this large stackable case. In terms of available space it is fantastic, however, I will be honest, it lacks stability and sturdiness. This is not the kind of case you can throw in your trunk and not have to worry ... rather, handle it like it is your most precious belonging and pray it stays in one piece. I do love it nevertheless for how practical it is once I am on location, but going to and fro location is the tricky part with this case.


Here a picture of the case in its original form emptied of all equipment, as I said it is great, but ...




Location Carry Bag (set bag)
This is my set bag, I use it to carry my on-set tools with me, as I am not always near my full makeup & hair kit while shooting. It is really sturdy, has loads of pockets and little elastics to clip things into, again, my favorite: it has a tissue box holder. For those of you reading this from outside the UAE ... tissue boxes are extremely popular here!
The picture below shows my set bag as I arrive on location, it holds my brushes, etc. The blog entry focusing on the set bag and what to put in it will show the set bag in it's true form with all the right tools in it.




High Makeup Chair (high directors chair)
I think I speak for most makeup artist when I say we all suffer from extreme lower back pain. For the first 2 years of my career I worked with whatever equipment I was allotted in the studio and on location ... suffering from excruciating pain after almost all shoots resulted in me buying a high makeup chair. I was very hesitant at first, because I didn't want to carry any more equipment with me to the shoots ... I am so glad I disregarded that thought only to go ahead and get myself a high chair made of aluminum (weighs next to nothing). It has made a huge difference to my well-being and hence the final result of my work. I am much more comfortable throughout the process and get a much better straight-on look at my work while applying, I can truly see the difference in the final output.



Portable Makeup Station with Lights and Wheels
If the portable makeup station weren't so heavy I would use it at every location shoot. I love it, you always have perfect lighting, your tools are perfectly positioned, you have a mirror, electricity is near you, it's awesome ... but soooo heavy!
I take this with me only if I know that the location dedicated to makeup will really make it hard for me to focus on my work.

image property of : www.cantonionline.com showing the Cantoni Trading SRL makeup station

I actually ordered all items from www.mondastudio.com in the States, except for the portable makeup station from Cantoni Trading SRL which I bought from Kontar in Deira, Dubai, and had them shipped to Dubai via UPS, worked fantastically, albeit quite expensive. I wish I could have had it easier, but I just didn't find what I wanted here.


Disclaimer:
There are many other great products out there and they are by no way inferior to what I use. My kit reflects the products that momentarily fulfill my needs the best and offer me & my techniques the best and most reliable results. Really, what's best is whatever suits you and makes you deliver the best result.
I invite you to comment and share your must-have makeup artist & hair stylist products!

No comments:

Post a Comment