Tuesday 8 July 2008

Northern Africa

When I think of Moroccan design, I think of something like this: intricate tilework, vivid colors and metallics, and archwork.


This Alice + Olivia dress reminded me of the traditional tiles called zellige, because of the use of yellow and white and the geometric pattern.

$264 at shopbop.com

The print on this off-the-shoulder top brings to mind the arches often seen on mosques and other buildings in the Islamic style.

By T-Bags. Originally $128, now $64 at shopbop.com

I have often seen fine metalwork in North African art, so this hammered metal cuff jumped out at me. It comes in an interesting gunmetal color (it looks like blackened silver with a green patina over it, like on the Statue of Liberty), as well as the silver version shown below.

By Gara Danielle. $74 at shopbop.com

Photo credits: shopbop.com

No comments:

Post a Comment